Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011? I've got this.

Back in action! :) Happy New Year everyone-- my trip to El Paso and Ruidoso, New Mexico was fantastic. My nephew Dallas was thrilled to have a full house of people ready to play Iron Man and Transformers-- I AM OPTIMUS PRIME! I tell yah, if I had a three-and-a-half year old that is always on 'go,' I'd be a skinny minny. He's a doll though... I'm surprised my Mom got on the plane after he threw himself on the floor and said, "Nana, Papa, please don't go... your house is too far away. Why is it so far away? Please don't go." Luckily, they'll be back in 5 weeks to welcome the newest addition, my neice Charley. Yes, Charley. She's going to be quite the rockstar/heartbreaker/supermodel. Can't wait to meet her.

But I have to be honest, I am SO glad to be back. SO bummed I have to go back to work tomorrow with about 8,000 unread e-mails, but thrilled to be home-- a new year and a new workout/eating plan to start things out right. If you can believe it, I actually missed working out while I was gone. I was too busy to actually make good on my promise and go to the gym, but again, I missed elliptical-ing and sweating it out.

I went to California Pizza Kitchen today with Margaret, Kristin, and Jill-- and Gavin and Taylor the beautiful babies to ring it in right... and add just a few more calories to the count.

Currently, I am drinking my first cup of what's sure to be many cups of green tea. Tomorrow, begins back to the workout grind and day 1 of the 17 day diet. I went grocery shopping tonight with my book & actually have some chicken in the oven to bring to work tomorrow with my boston lettuce leaves and sauted cabbage, carrots, radish, broccoli, and cauliflower with 2 tbsps. lite soy sauce-- homemade lettuce wraps, peeps!

So, I feel I should explain a little more about the 17 day diet-- I know I gave you the overview in a previous post, but it's pretty simple for the first 17 days.

When I wake up: I drink 1 cup of hot water with half a lemon.
Breakfast: 2 eggs or 4 egg whites prepared without oil, OR (not "and") 1 serving probiotic food (yogurt, special cottage cheese, etc.)-- 1 serving is 6 oz. 1 fruit serving (low-sugar fruits like applies). 1 cup green tea.
Lunch: Liberal amounts of protein in the form of fish, poultry, or eggs plus unlimited amounts of cleansing vegetables (I have a list... no starch). 1 cup of green tea.
Dinner: Libreal amounts of protein in the form of fish or chicken. Unlimited amounts of cleansing vegtables. 1 cup of green tea.
Snacks: 2nd fruit serving. 2nd probiotic serving (so yes, you need 2 fruits and 2 probiotics a day).
Additional: 1 serving (1 to 2 tablespoons of friendly fat to use on salads, vegtables, or for cooking).

After the first 17 days, you slowly work good carbs and things like low-fat ice cream and wine back into your diet. There are 2 more cycles-- but right now, I'm concentrating on getting through this first 17 days. They say you can lose anywhere from 10-20 pounds. As Dr. Moreno (McDreamy) says in the book, "Anyone can do anything for 17 days."

It's going to be tough-- I will want to quit and move to Idaho to eat nothing but mashed potatoes for the rest of my life by tomorrow at 2 pm, but I think I can do it. I'm thinking this change of eating plus my workout is really going to yield some good results. I hate green tea, though. Ugh.

This is a lifestyle change, not a fad diet, promise.

Tomorrow we'll do a real weigh in to punish myself for the eating I did while in the Southwest. Not sure the ribs, tamales, ham, cheesecake, beef tenderloin and ensuing heart burn was worth it, but hey, it was Christmas vacation! I am just not that strong a person.

Hope everyone has a good Monday... I'll be thinking about you!

Love, Sarah

3 comments:

  1. From my own experience... Not promising easy, but... water water water. All the water you can drink. It helps some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the green tea have to be hot? Or can you drink iced green tea with sweet'n low?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No unnatural sweetners Pammy... they want you to use that new plant-based Truvia, which is actually pretty good. It doesn't say anything about needing to be hot, but you can definitely add the Truvia. No calories.

    ReplyDelete